Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 10:01:40PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:03:46AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > There are no non-free Debian packages, because non-free packages are
> > not part of Debian.  We happen to provide a place for them on the
> > servers, that's all.
> Yeah, whatever, they're there, and you're not helping with pointless
> GNU-like phraseology rants. :P

If it's a "pointless rant", it's not GNU-like, it's

   1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

      We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
      software. As there are many definitions of free software, we
      include the guidelines we use to determine if software is "free"
      below. We will support our users who develop and run non-free
      software on Debian, but we will never make the system depend on an
      item of non-free software.

   5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

      We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
      that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have
      created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for this
      software. The software in these directories is not part of the
      Debian system, although it has been configured for use with
      Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of
      software packages in these directories and determine if they can
      distribute that software on their CDs. Thus, although non-free
      software isn't a part of Debian, we support its use, and we
      provide infrastructure (such as our bug-tracking system and
      mailing lists) for non-free software packages.

It is distressing that one of Debian's own webmasters is so unfamiliar
with the Debian Social Contract.

G. Branden Robinson                |    I just wanted to see what it looked
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    like in a spotlight.
branden@debian.org                 |    -- Jim Morrison
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |