Re: [desktop] webmin or Ximian Setup Tools?

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Sebastian Rittau wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:04:40AM +0100, Gianluca Sartori wrote:
>
> > 	I read about the Debian Desktop project and I think it's good.
> > What sounds strange to me is this phrase:
> >
> > "... The "desktop" flavor could then install webmin."
> >
> > In my opinion webmin is more useful in a server installation whilst
> > Ximian-Setup-Tools are best suited for a desktop system.

I think you're both missing the point a little.  While the current range
of webmin modules are indeed server-centric, there is no reason why
desktop type tasks could not be handled by the webmin framework.  It's
just a matter of writing or packaging the right modules.  the main point
is it provides a palatform and desktpo environment independent GUI.

> I tend to agree. Webmin would require a web-server IIRC. That's not
> something that should be required on a standard desktop system.

I mentioned earlier that GNOME and KDE control center modules could be
written to run webmin.  This could then start or shutdown a webserver on
demand or implement HTTP some other way.  (like how lynx can run CGIs
without a web server.)  Or if it is really that big a deal it could
probably be trivially modified to run over unix sockets.

> BTW: What are the features of webmin and the GNOME Setup Tools? What can
> be configured with them, what cannot?

apt-cache search webmin and take a look.  The only major lack is a module
for exim IMO.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>