Re: linux for blinds

On 30 Oct 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Sébastien FRANCOIS wrote:

> > The idea to make a system for blinds is great and I can only enforce
> > you to do it.
> >
> > But you are going the wrong way!
> Could you explain this a bit more?
For sure :).

> We have a working system, with speech synthesis and support any type of
> device for blinds, but:
> There are no packages for mbrola
Here you can find my explanation how to get a certain piece of software
into Debian:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2002/debian-med-200204/msg00091.html

> (I applied to be a debian developper but there is no one in my area)
This does neighter prevent you from issuing RFP/ITP bug reports (see
above) nor asking for a sponsor to upload your packages.  I'm really
sure that there will be a sponsor for your packages.  For getting
your key signed you might consider to some conferences.  For instance
the Libre Software Meeting in Bordeaux might be ideal for you.  There
was a track about free software for visually impared every year.  You will
see some Debian developers there.

> And the problem of installation remain important for newbies, you'll
> always need to set which type of braille displays you're using, on which
> port it is and so on; under dos or windows (autodetection was tried by
> the suse blinux project but it is said not to be reliable) before
> running any installation (otherwise software braille displays would not
> show anything...)
If this is the main target just try to improve this and let the other
work be done by your fellow Debian developers.

> That's why I'm thinking about modifying the d-i, in order to remain in
> the debian idea to provide one solution for every case.
> Don't hesitate to ask if it is not clear enough
> You can also join us on irc.openprojects.net #brlspeak
Sorry, I will not join because I'm quite overloaded with other stuff.
But please keep the real power of internal projects in mind.  Just ask
the debian-installer team for your special problem.  May be they
know a sane solution or you can work out something together.

You might also read

      http://people.debian.org/~synrg/subproject-howto.html/

Fell free to ask further questions if something remained unclear

      Andreas.