Re: newbie and nervous cell

On 30 Apr 2002, Paolo Ariano wrote:

> i'm new on this list,
Welcome ...

> i'm working wirh gimp,xite and other nice tools to
> develop something to track nervous cell movements; in the last two weeks
> i've tryed ImageJ (i didn't like it before when it was nih image or
> scion image) and it work good on my unstable, i'm now developping some
> plug-in.
> the question probably discussed in the past why not to debianize ImageJ?
The question was not discussed yet as far as I know because perhaps
nobody knows this program.  At least this is true for me.

General rule to get something into Debian (I think I should write a FAQ
for this list:

  - If there is some interest in a program which should be packaged
    this interest has to be announced first.
  - Two cases:
     1. Request For Packaging (RFP)
        if you just want to ask other developers to care for a package
     2. Intent To Package (ITP)
        if you want to build the package yourself
        You can build the package even if you are not a Debian developer
        but you have to find a sponsor
        This is explained very detailed in the "New Maintainers Guide"
        which you should read in any case before starting to build
        Debian packages
  - One way:
    Use reportbug to announce your RFP / ITP

      ~> su
      ~# apt-get install reportbug
      ~> exit
      ~> reportbug
         [file the bug against the package named 'wnpp']

    wnpp means: Work Needing and Prospective Packages

  - make sure you include at least upstream URL and license of the
    program in the formular if you do not want to get flamed by
    developers from the debian-devel list

> i can try (i never debianized something :(  )
You do not have to :( . Everybody is or at least was (up to a certainin
point of his life) in the position never to have debianized anything ;-).

> or there is some problem of license or other ?
If you would tell us the URL we would not have to ask Google and would
make sure that we talk about the same thing.

In general I would really lilke to include useful stuff into Debian.
Regarding to your remarks it would fit well into med-imaging.

PS: If you intend building Debian packages please make sure that the
    problem with your shift-key will be fixed, because we follow the usual
    orthographic rules in package descriptions, readmes etc. ;-)