Re: is Debian an anarchist organization/project?

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:09:13AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
I doubt that. If a public society can build highways that costs millions
of euros per kilometer, then why can it not build chip fabs?

It can't build such expensive highways. My observation is that it's often quite difficult to get fence repairs done between two properties because the people involved have a dispute about cost sharing. How do you get agreement on cost sharing of a million euros for 1Km of road among the 100,000 people who drive on it?

Having spent some weeks recently building fences, I feel qualified to speak
on this.  Fences aren't all they're cracked up to be.  If a person feels
strongly enough about a fence, he will build it himself, whether or not
the other neighbor chips in.

As for the costs of roads: somehow it all works out.  It always has in
the past.  Instead of making a big road, when people feel the need,
they'll group new buildings around where a new road will go, and voila!
there is the new fine straight wide road.  That is the organic mechanism
that happens in anarchy.  In government you have emminent domain
seizures and a lot of hurt feelings when the government bulldozes
peoples homes that they were perfectly happy with.

I'm happy to attend install-fests and spend a half day configuring other people's PCs without pay. But I'm not going to spend several years of non-stop work without getting something for it!

Absolutely.  You are entitled to recompense for your labor.  You do some
work for someone, they should give you money, or do some work for you in
return.  Remember, anarchism is not communism.  What's yours is
definately yours.  It's just, what's the publics can be used by you, but
isn't really yours.

If "publically funded" means "government funded" then yes I agree that can work (but that goes against the anarchist philosophy).

Only inasmuch as governments are against anarchist philosophy.  The
concept of people grouping together to work on large projects and
achieve large goals is the very heart of anarchism.

Jonathan

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw@reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2