Re: is Debian an anarchist organization/project?

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:06:01PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
I think the free software community as a whole is a better example of
anarchy in action.
Debian elects a minority of individuals to have power over other members.

I wouldn't really characterize them that way; we elect leaders, but
saying they have power over individual members seems to be going rather
beyond the pale.

Debian has policy.
If you can choose your slavemaster are you still a slave ?

Every orderly society has a social contract.  Unlike the real world of
countries and nations, if you don't like Debians social contract, there
are other places one can go, or one can work for change from within.
Is it slavery when you can get that policy changed to your liking if
you express yourself clearly?  DD have a fair amount of influence in
the power process.  Characterizing us as slaves doesn't really wash.

Jonathan

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw@reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2