Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:30:39 +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 08:49:29AM -0700, Christopher DuPuis
> scribbled:> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:26:53 +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > > A newbie will not use a bare WindowMaker... If they do, they're
> > > not newbies anymore, IMHO. Otherwise we might be forced to somehow
> > > add support for twm:-)
> > >

> > A newbie who is using a computer with << 256 MB RAM is not likely
> > to use either Gnome or KDE. At least not for long. They'll either
> > switch(Snip...)
> Times have really changed. People have more memory and cycles for less
> these days. Sure, there still are people who don't have them but you
> can't win everything for everyone...

OK, point taken. I won't mention trying to run mozilla and xemacs
while using Gnome with Nautilus and Enlightenment on a 200 MHz,
32 MB system (no more memory slots) ever again. (Heh. Now I'm starting
to sound really old. "When *I* was your age...")

If this project is targeted at real newbies rather than "switchers",
then there is no call for being too stingy on memory requirements. A
true newbie, someone who has never used a computer, won't be worried
about using older hardware, as you say. Of course, if you do
want to attract people who have never used Linux but have heard that it
will run on older systems and be more secure and crash-proof than
Win9x, then some moderation on resource-intensive stuff is called for,
at least as an option.

How about having three options for desktop configuration: "De-Luxe"
(installs Gnome or KDE with all the bells and whistles turned on),
"Normal" (installs Gnome or KDE with reasonably moderate defaults), and
"Spartan" (no session manager, and just some reasonably nice window
manager).

--
Chris DuPuis
dupuis@syntax.com