Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:32:43AM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:

> [...] Otherwise the menus for both environments should look like
> this, for example:
>
> Applications
>   Accesories
>     Terminal Emulator
>     Character Map
>   System Utilities
>     Change Your Password
>     Change Your Description
>     Change Your Language
>   Internet
>     Web Browser
>     ICQ Client
>     Email Client
> Entertainment
>   Games
>     Mahjongg
>     Solitaire
>     Miner
>   Multimedia
>     Music Player
>     CD Player
>     Movie Player
>
> And what hides behind these labels doesn't matter to our Joe user. They see
> the same entries whether they use KDE or GNOME. No need to make the
> distinction on the menu level. That has one additional advantage - unified
> documentation.

This is an /excellent/ idea, IMHO. Those semi-humorous gnome/kde
application names don't mean anything to the average computer user
anyway.

One more thing to keep an eye on is grouping of items. Of course this
can be done by creating hierarchies like you suggest, but as has been
pointed out numerous times, that can be very bad from an ergonomic
standpoint. An alternative could be to replace the group container with
a thin separator line.

Anyway, some ordering is needed, and that's something where RedHat's
menu fails miserably now, see
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=41285&cid=4373541 and the parent
post that links to the screenshot of the menu why I think so.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info