Re: DAM approval wait time?

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:24:57PM -0500, Steve Langasek scrawled:
> Is this really how you view developership?  I don't approve of NMs being
> left hanging in the queue, but I have serious misgivings when someone
> says they would like to have a debian.org address to know that they're
> appreciated.  If being a DD is a sign that you're accepted, it's a very
> fleeting one; flamewars between developers are usually MORE intense than
> between DDs and non-DDs.[1]  I think to be a successful DD, you have to
> first find satisfaction in the work itself, with or without community
> accolades.

Personally, I find the key in the keyring being the most important part
of it. Sponsorship is really a pain in the arse over long periods of
time - it just means that there's double the time expended on something,
which is time wasted if the person in question knows what they're doing.
It also means that you don't get access to the Debian resources - I had
to spend a while finding lamont to get an account on paer to track down
a HPPA build bug, and just basically gave up on the rest, except for ARM
(thanks Othmar).

Granted, I was a special case (maintaining KDE through sponsorship), but
still, I think there are others in the same position. Getting DAM
approval is more than the secret decoder ring and email alias.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
Developer - http://kopete.kde.org, http://www.kde.org