Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 at 11:07:47AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:32:50AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 04:05, Mark Howard wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >   There has been much debate about unix system configuration [0]. This
> > > has resulted in discussion and even a message of support from the fsf,
> > > however no actual work has been done.
>
> > Before we get into details, let me be very blunt.  I do not think this
> > particular sub-project is going succeed, or that it even really makes
> > sense.
>
> > I know I said earlier that I'm a strong believer in the power of free
> > software, and I am, but what you are talking about would require an
> > enormous investment in time from the community.  The implementation work
> > *alone*, to cover even 60% of what's out there, would take more
> > person-hours than I think the entire Debian Developer community has to
> > offer for the next several years.
>
> Besides which, all standardizing our file formats does is make it easier
> for Microsoft to write Unix->Windows migration tools... :)
>
> Strength in diversity! :)
How about they all conform to us? <Grin>  After all we do have a solid
packaging system (unlike other distros which will remain nameless...).

--
Phil

PGP/GPG Key:
http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/
wget -O - http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/key.txt | gpg --import

XP Source Code:

#include <win2k.h>
#include <extra_pretty_things_with_bugs.h>
#include <more_bugs.h>
#include <require_system_activation.h>
#include <phone_home_every_so_often.h>
#include <remote_admin_abilities_for_MS.h>
#include <more_restrictive_EULA.h>
#include <sell_your_soul_to_MS_EULA.h>
//os_ver="Windows 2000"
os_ver="Windows XP"