Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:32:50AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 04:05, Mark Howard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   There has been much debate about unix system configuration [0]. This
> > has resulted in discussion and even a message of support from the fsf,
> > however no actual work has been done.

> Before we get into details, let me be very blunt.  I do not think this
> particular sub-project is going succeed, or that it even really makes
> sense.

> I know I said earlier that I'm a strong believer in the power of free
> software, and I am, but what you are talking about would require an
> enormous investment in time from the community.  The implementation work
> *alone*, to cover even 60% of what's out there, would take more
> person-hours than I think the entire Debian Developer community has to
> offer for the next several years.

Besides which, all standardizing our file formats does is make it easier
for Microsoft to write Unix->Windows migration tools... :)

Strength in diversity! :)

> I doubt that even 1000 developers (which we are not even close to
> having, I think we have about 250-300 active) would not be enough to
> convert even half of Debian's source packages (say about 3000) in any
> reasonable amount of time.

... assuming they all signed on to the idea.  I doubt many would.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer