Re: Hybrid 7 OFTC IRC Daemon - experimental package

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:33:03 +0200, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> viconf.c        - edit your conf file without having to chdir su etc. etc.
>                   also locks the file if file locking is used.
>                   viconf is also installed with hard links as vimotd and
>                   viklines, to edit those files in a locked mode.
>
> Lintian warns about the hardlinks

Won't symlinks do fine instead?

> and I wonder if the Debian package actually needs these programs since imo
> only root should be able to edit the config files.

Even if root is the only uid that should be able to edit the config files
that doesn't mean that there is only a single person that can edit them; a
helper application that enforces strict locking is helpful in that case.
There's precedent in vipw, vigr and visudo.

Ray
--
"[...] you can divide our industry into two kinds of people: those who want
to go work for a company to make it successful, and those who want to go