Re: Hybrid 7 OFTC IRC Daemon - experimental package

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:33:03AM +0200, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Daniel Stone <dstone@kde.org> [2002-10-20 10:45]:
>
> > This looks really good from a quick glance, and I recommend it be the
> > default. dancer is unusable, even if you are asuffield, ircu is ...
> > ircu, and plain hyb7 doesn't have some of gcc's and jabea's cool
> > patches.
>
> Thx, another question: upstream includes the following:
>
> viconf.c        - edit your conf file without having to chdir su etc. etc.
>                   also locks the file if file locking is used.
>                   viconf is also installed with hard links as vimotd and
>                   viklines, to edit those files in a locked mode.
>
> Lintian warns about the hardlinks and I wonder if the Debian package
> actually needs these programs since imo only root should be able to edit
> the config files.

Symlinks work just fine in this case.

As for viconf/vimotd/vklines, what makes you think root should have
anything to do with an IRC server? Please tell me that this and other
ircd's don't run as root.

The vi* programs provide more than just priviledged access, they provide
a locking mechanism. They are pertinent in this case.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/