Re: debian-devel-games

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:52:06AM +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
> There wasn't much discussion, mostly some bits about Quake or
> something.  In game-related lists user feedback should always be
> appreciated, otherwise it's getting quiet soon (just speaking from my
> not so humble kde-games-devel experience).

Maybe removing the devel would be better.  I think maybe the development
part of the list name might scare away users and prevent a lot of user
feedback.  Or make it very clear in the list description that user
feedback is greatly appreciated.  I know that until I started thinking
about writing some small crappy games, I would never have signed up for
debian-devel-games just because the name makes me think that it would be
100% over my head.

A mix between rec.games.roguelike.nethack and
rec.games.roguelike.development would probably be good.  Have the user
base of RGRN with the development talk of RGRD.  This isn't to say that
all games should be roguelike, I'm just using those newsgroups as an
example.

> > Was the list removed because of lack of interest, because it didn't
> > really fit or something else entirely?
>
> The spam/content ratio was... high enough to justify removal I guess.

I did notice there seemed to be more spam in the archives than posts the
last couple of months anyway.

> > Would a list discussing the development of new games such as the one
> > discussed on debian-user be appropriate for Debian or should it
> > really be a more general list and not a part of Debian?
>
> There are more and more games entering Debian, and there are quite a
> few things to discuss (Policy mandating /var/games, highscores, menu
> structure, consistant way of keeping archive size low as well as
> providing additional content packages), so I'd subscribe at least.

I'd subscribe too.  Maybe instead of just removing debian-devel-games it
would be better to give it an overhaul and another shot?  Whenever game
posts come up in debian-user, it would also be a good opportunity to
mention debian-devel-games so people would know what it is really for.
Of course, we would have to decide what its purpose should be first.

--
Jason Stechschulte
stech@ypisco.com