Re: Renaming of automake to automake1.4

* Roger Leigh (roger@whinlatter.uklinux.net) wrote:
> Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The only problem with this rename is that packages with a version
> > Build-Depend on automake will stop building from source (Of course I
> > hope people realize build-depending on automake is a bad
> > idea). Luckily there are only 22 packages with this problem:
> >
> > abiword
> > allegro4
> > avifile
> > bison
> [snip]
>
> > This is a heads up to the maintainers of those source packages that
> > the will have to fix things when this change goes through. I will file
> > the bugs if necessary. I hope no one has any serious problems with
> > this.
>
> This may have been covered before, but *why* are *any* packages
> Build-Depending on automake in the first place?  The best approach
> would be for maintainers to run automake in the source tree and have
> the changes included in the Debian diff, ensuring that the build will
> work on any machine.

That's what they should do, the only real disadvantage is that it
makes the diff a bit bigger. But it makes the build much more
predictable and reliable. I wonder if a should in policy or a lintian
warning would be helpful.

--
Eric Dorland <dorland@lords.com>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com