Re: Renaming of automake to automake1.4

Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> writes:

> The only problem with this rename is that packages with a version
> Build-Depend on automake will stop building from source (Of course I
> hope people realize build-depending on automake is a bad
> idea). Luckily there are only 22 packages with this problem:
>
> abiword
> allegro4
> avifile
> bison
[snip]

> This is a heads up to the maintainers of those source packages that
> the will have to fix things when this change goes through. I will file
> the bugs if necessary. I hope no one has any serious problems with
> this.

This may have been covered before, but *why* are *any* packages
Build-Depending on automake in the first place?  The best approach
would be for maintainers to run automake in the source tree and have
the changes included in the Debian diff, ensuring that the build will
work on any machine.

This takes little effort on the part of the maintainer, and keeps the
number of Build-Dependencies down.

--
Roger Leigh
                "Liberty and Livelihood" - Support the Countryside Alliance