Re: Spam: process the web archives?

Colin Watson wrote:
> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > For the good of our subscribers, we should not allow our lists to be gated
> > to newsgroups. Does not Debian have the authority to forbid such thing?
>
> Many people on debian-user are very happy to be able to read that list
> as a newsgroup, in order to avoid having to subscribe to a high-volume
> list.

That's a bogus argument. You can also avoid having to subscribe to a
high-volume list by reading the list archives at lists.debian.org.

Yes, we should hide email addresses there. geocrawler and sourceforge
lists are a good example of how it should be done. You get the useful
information you are looking for, but you can't spam anybody who
participated in the discussions.

No need for newsgroups gates.

Peter Palfrader wote:
> I think the gate to Usenet is a valuable service.

Yes, to spammers!

We should serve our users, not the spammers.