Re: Spam: process the web archives?

On 15-Oct-02, 16:29 (CDT), Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > For the good of our subscribers, we should not allow our lists to be gated
> > > to newsgroups. Does not Debian have the authority to forbid such thing?
> >
> > Many people on debian-user are very happy to be able to read that list
> > as a newsgroup, in order to avoid having to subscribe to a high-volume
> > list.
>
> That's a bogus argument. You can also avoid having to subscribe to a
> high-volume list by reading the list archives at lists.debian.org.

That's a bogus counter argument. Yes, you can read the archive, but
reading a high volume list in a crappy web archive is worse than dealing
with mail; a decent news reader (e.g. trn) is way better than e-mail.

We're not going to solve the SPAM problem until we're allow to put the
assholes up against the wall and pull the trigger. Absent that, a few
newsgroups here and there ain't going to make much difference.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net