Re: dpkg-buildpackage problem

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 01:14:48AM +0200, Simon Hürlimann <huerlisi@student.ethz.ch> was heard to say:
> Hi,
>
> short:
> try changing
> > ./configure (lots of stuff here) --datadir=/etc/X11
> > ./configure (lots of stuff here) --datadir=${prefix}/etc/X11

  No, don't!  $prefix should be /usr; this will result in stuff going in
/usr/etc/X11.  (why datadir is /etc/X11 at all is another question; this
looks like a policy violation to me)

  What you should do is:

./configure (...) --datadir=/etc/X11
make DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/packageName install

  If this doesn't install stuff in the right places, fix the Makefile
and/or LART upstream.  (but politely, so they listen :) )

  The Makefile fix consists of finding the line where it installs stuff
(something like "install foo $(datadir)" and changing $(datadir) to
$(DESTDIR)$(datadir) )  If upstream is using a Makefile.am, you should
probably change that and re-run automake.  (the bug won't be in
Makefile or Makefile.in, since automake-generated Makefiles always
respect DESTDIR)  If they're just using Makefile.ins, change those.

  Daniel

|           "You see, I've already stolen the spork of wisdom                 |
|            and the spork of courage..  together with the spork              |
|            of power, they form the mighty...TRI-SPORK!" -- Fluble           |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/