Re: Debugging makefiles

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 03:15:57PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Brian May wrote:
> > Regardless, I personally like autoconf, automake, and libtool. It makes
> > it easier to have a consistant and full featured build interface to my
> > programs.
>
> It depends on your needs I guess. I find automake useless for anything
> that is not trivial. The day I replaced the dpkg buildsystem with a
> simple nice Makefile system that no longer used automake was an
> extremely good day.

I find automake extremely effective at handling complex scenarios. It
all depends on whether you actually know what you're doing or
not. Looking at the Makefile.am's at around dpkg 1.4, I would not be
at all surprised if these broke. Especially since the distributed
tarball doesn't contain any Makefile.in's - that's *always*
wrong. GIGO.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK