Re: Debugging makefiles

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:27:54PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> In other words, given a malfunctioning Makefile.am, I sometimes glance at
> the resulting Makefile, but most of the time the problem is evident from
> the error message make emits (how to arrive at the solution in a clean and
> future-automake-safe way is a somewhat different matter).

It depends on how many hacks upstream have used to work around
bugs/features/limitations/whatever in automake.

My preference is for simple Makefile.am with few/no hacks...

Also newer versions of automake depend on newer versions
of autoconf. Getting autoconf to work properly with complicated
upstream code is a major problem at times.

(see my previous messages on this topic)

Regardless, I personally like autoconf, automake, and libtool. It makes
it easier to have a consistant and full featured build interface to my
programs.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>