Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 03:01:37PM +0100, Daniel Silverstone wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:16:38PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > We currently don't provide any control over dotfiles found in
> > user home directories, and we leave any conflicts as they happen.
> > I'd like some kind of scripting system.
> >
> > something like upgrade-dotconf program,
> > which runs everything it finds under
> > /usr/lib/upgrade-dotconf/[dot-conf upgrade checking programs] ?
>
> This needs to be dealt with very very carefully because in NFS-situations,
> upgrading a users homedir may need you to setuid() down to that user first,
> and also, you may hit problems where a user logs into different machines
> which have differing versions of a package such that upgrading it may break
> the older machines.

Both of these aren't an issue if you have the user run the
"upgrade-dotconf" script -- setuiding is obviously unnecessary, and if
you've got special needs for your homedir, you're in control of when
(or if) it's run from the word go, although you might have to write a
.xsession or a .bashrc or similar.

Given that scenario, the questions would be:

	* when is the dotrc-upgrade stuff done? (at next login after upgrade?)

	* what should the scripts do? (rm stuff? mv it out of the
	  way? attempt to convert what information can easily be
	  converted?)

	* what sort of UI is presented? (none - everything automatic?
	  optional GUI? what options go in the UI? just "an upgrade is needed,
	  shall I rm all your files?" or is more fine-grained stuff possible
	  or useful?)

	* if there's a UI, how is it controlled? (do we need the complexity
	  debconf brings? or do we just need to have a list of dot-rc files
	  that're now broken and need to be rm'ed, and let the user hit "ok"
	  to kill 'em all?)

	* what should the defaults be, and how can we set them up? (run on
	  login unless changed, or don't run at all unless added to
	  .xsession? show a UI, or just delete everything and mail a log?
	  should these defaults be applied to existing users, or just
	  new users?)

	* how should the defaults be changed?

Cheers,
aj