Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:32:40AM -0700, Mark Whaite wrote:
> In the most abstract and honest appraisal of the situation,

Famous last words.

> deleting a file is NOT the same as changing a file.  Changing a file
> modifies the files CONTENTS,  deleting a file removes the files
> existance.  Not the same thing at all.

The user doesn't care as much about files changing, getting deleted, or
flying to the moon on gossamer wings so much as he cares that his
computer continues to operate consistently with the actions he has taken
to configure it.

Viewed in that light, part of the system changing behavior due to the
presence or absence of a file versus changing behavior due to a file
being modified is a distinction without a difference.

Our responsibility is to respect the user's wishes insofar as we can
discern them.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If existence exists,