Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:11:40AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Why not stop wasting my time on something so utterly pointless? (seriously)
> Who's wasting *your* time?

You are. I'm either going to have to rail against this now, or I'm going
to have to rail against it when people start deciding to "enforce" it
and filing bugs against my packages, or I'm going to have to spend the
time to work out how to do it reliably and fix it. Further, since this
is suddenly going to become a release-critical bug, as release manager,
I'm going to have to start spending time worrying about RC bugs against
netkit-inetd, base-passwd, and I've no idea how many other packages.

Did you even think about that question before asking it?

And it isn't just about wasting *my* time, although obviously that's what
*I* care about, it's about wasting *everyone's* time: yours, Thomas',
Manoj's, whoever's. It's not a useful thing to do, in general, and in the
specific case under consideration there're much better ways (ie, ones that
work in this case and others, reliably; and ones that can and will be made
to work, and do a better job in all cases). It's a foolish consistency,
that's not being justified on its merits, but merely for its own sake.

Cheers,
aj