Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

Hi,

At Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:04:13 +0900,
Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> > This does not immediately mean that I insist that UTF-8 should be used
> > for storing Debconf translations.  I just said usage of UTF-8 does not
> > bring any problems.
>
> It does cause a problem.
>
> Description-XX: fields used to be whatever encoding they were,
> and with sarge, some of them appear in UTF-8.
> That is my main concern, and why I think Encoding-XX: field
> isn't the best way to go.

Ah, you are right.  Debconf must have some method to distinguish
what encoding is used for stored translations in run-time.  And,
the method must co-exist with the current situation of debconf.

Though I don't know any examples of Description-XX: fields written
in UTF-8, such implementation MUST be avoided until we determine
how to handle encodings in debconf.  Until that, WE CANNOT USE
DEBCONF IN NON-POPULAR ENCODINGS (SUCH AS UTF-8), even if users
want it.

However, I don't know whether the method of Encoding-XX: field
is bad or not.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/