Re: NMU'ing for wishlist bugs? (aka: intent to NMU bind9)

* Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a (jfs@dat.etsit.upm.es) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 01:41:42PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > Dynamic allocation of the uid does not hinder this, not having a
> > package-independent directory for zone files is what causes the
> > hindrence, if anything.  Names exist so you don't have to know the uid.
> > It's a pretty simple operation to create the user if it doesn't exist.
> > Everyone just needs to agree on where the zone files are going to be (if
> > they're really capable of working in any DNS server setup...) and the
> > *name*.  *Not* the uid.
>
> I might be a little stubborn... but what happens if:
>
> 1.- user installs bind
> (the 'named' user gets created)
> 2.- user configures the name server and sets the zone information in
> common dir, for example /var/named/

Now hang on a second here.  You think the master zone files are going to
be owned by the named user?  That's a bad assumption to begin with, they
should be owned by root (as they are on my system...).  So, really, all
we're talking about here are cache files which should be recreated when
you update anyway.  I should have realized the folly of the original
proposal earlier.

As for some directory where the master zone files are stored...  There's
stuff in the debian developer's manual on how to handle that kind of
situation, as I recall.   The directory and files should be owned by
root though, not named.

	Stephen