Re: Different logging formats, standardization...

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:29:17PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
Did you actually READ any of my mails except for the subject?

yes

I'm not talking about throwing out anything.
I'm talking about modifying the contents applications pass to the
"syslog(3)" system call, in order to make the logs better parseable by
tools such as logcheck.

ISTR you saying something along the lines of "And i don't like syslog
too much... i don't care if it's a posix standard, i'd like to have more
advanced things." Sorry for misinterpreting that.
The original proposal I remember reading was "What i would like is some
standard to especially express and log the severity of the message",
which syslog already does. You may want to argue for a different syslogd
which exposes that (existing) information, but that's a whole different
ball of wax than modifying every application that uses syslog (thus
making the debian versions of those applications log differently than
other versions, creating a real hell for those who centralize & analyze
heterogeneous logs.)

Mike Stone