Re: Work-needing packages report for Sep 6, 2002

>>"Michael" == Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

 Michael> Maybe the answer is that unmaintained packages simply don't
 Michael> make it to the stable release.

	iff there is a RC bug againt the package.

 Michael> That satisfies the concern (vapid though it may be) that

	I don't see that as vapid. There may be users interested in
 unmaintained software that fails to attract the attention of a
 developer.

 Michael> unmaintained junk be forever available for easy apt-get, and
 Michael> also doesn't force maintainence teams to take action for
 Michael> said unmaintained crap.

	Flawed assumption.  No one is forcing maintainence teams to
 take action for the unmaintained valued piece of software. If it gets
 an RC bug, it gets yanked out of stable. If it gets buggy, well, it
 is unmaintaned, and people shall understand.

	If some one gets interested, bugs shall be fixed in a
 (sponsored?) NMU. I see no tangible reason to yank perfectly usable
 software out of Debian.

	manoj
--
 Promise her anything, but give her Exxon unleaded.