Re: Work-needing packages report for Sep 6, 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:41:50AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Flawed assumption.  No one is forcing maintainence teams to
>  take action for the unmaintained valued piece of software. If it gets
>  an RC bug, it gets yanked out of stable. If it gets buggy, well, it
>  is unmaintaned, and people shall understand.

Once it's released as stable, we have certain responsibilities. E.g., if
the program developers a security problem it can't just be ignored. We
can't remove it from systems where it's already installed. We have in
the past yanked software from stable rather than fixing it, but we try
very hard to avoid that because there's no good mechanism for
advertising that action to our users. If no developer is willing to take
personal responsibility for a package, why should the various
maintenance teams be given a long-term de facto responsbility? All we're
talking about is for one of 500 people to say "I'll take responsibility
for this package." If not one of those people is willling to do that,
why on earth is it something that needs to be in stable?

--
Mike Stone