Re: wanting to package wpoison

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:19:23AM +0100, Paul Hedderly wrote:

> > >Obviously! Together with the HPQ, Apache Foundation, GNOME Foundation,
> > >and more funny logos!
> >
> > Works for me!
> >
> > If you are leveraging off of all of this fine work by all of these
> > other fine, selfless, and hardworking groups that are cranking out
> > great free software for the benefit of humanity (and usually with
> > little or no financial reward) then shouldn't you be GLAD to at
> > least give each of these groups the honor of dedicating a little
> > patch of 20x10 pixels on the Debian home page in honor of each
> > group's contribution to Debian, and to free software generally?

> I thought it would be an honour to have your software distributed to
> many users by Debian, for free.

> Do you really think everyone going www.debian.org wants to download 8000
> icons every time? Dial-up users will kill us - broadband users won't
> like it. And do you think anyone will spot your wpoison logo amongst the
> other thousands?

> Thats what it would be like if we were "GLAD to at least give each of
> these groups the honour of dedicated a little patch..."

More importantly, saying "Debian can be distributed with Debian IFF you
put my logo on your website" fails two points (1 and 7) of the Debian
Free Software Guidelines, independently of any restrictions on binary
distribution.  We don't pay homage on our website to our peers in the
Free Software Community; why would we give extra consideration to an
author of non-free software?

Or is it your intention to present such absurd license terms that we
would abandon the idea of distributing wpoison?  If so, I think it
worked.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer