Re: RFC: OpenLDAP and TLS/SSL

Yes, unfortunately that situation triggers an assert... what a great
feature :(

So apart from the need to remove the unversioned-uses-versioned error,
we also to produce unversioned binaries.

The simplest way to this is is IMHO to add a /usr/lib/dev directory and
make it the first directory searched by ld (this should be possible by
either wrapping ld or adding it to linker scripts in the ld source).

Then when we build the library package, we build a versioned library for
the main package and an unversioned one for the -dev package that gets
put in /usr/lib/dev (rather than relinking, we may write a tool to strip
the versioning info).

This way, Debian/non-Debian unversioned binaries work properly with
Debian multiple versioned libraries because we patch the dynamic loader
(easy to do) and Debian binaries work with non-Debian libraries because
they are still unversioned.

How about this?