OpenSSL-linked exim

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 16:19:48 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Exim is GPL, so the author currently does not allow the distribution of
> binaries which also contain OpenSSL code.

Quoting the NOTICE file from the Exim 3.36 source:
:Copyright (c) 1999 University of Cambridge
:
:This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
:under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
:Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option)
:any later version.
:
:In addition, for the avoidance of any doubt, permission is granted to link
:this program with OpenSSL or any other library package.

This seems to be intended as the kind of exception statement Debian needs in
order to be able to include OpenSSL-linked exim binaries (or
OpenLDAP-linked-against-OpenSSL exim binaries) in its main archive, although
people on debian-legal would probably point out that this doesn't spell out
permission to redistribute the result of such linking.

Philip, if I recall correctly, previous discussions on debian-legal have
resulted in a recommended phrasing for such an exception statement
(unfortunately, I can't seem to find a link for it at the moment); would you
please consider getting the NOTICE updated along the lines of that phrasing
so as to make it clear that redistribution of OpenSSL-linked exim binaries
is allowed?

Ray
--
"Perhaps they spent some of the time writing the patent application. That
task was surely harder than thinking of the technique."