Re: OpenSSL-linked exim

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> :In addition, for the avoidance of any doubt, permission is granted to link
> :this program with OpenSSL or any other library package.
>
> This seems to be intended as the kind of exception statement Debian needs in
> order to be able to include OpenSSL-linked exim binaries (or
> OpenLDAP-linked-against-OpenSSL exim binaries) in its main archive, although
> people on debian-legal would probably point out that this doesn't spell out
> permission to redistribute the result of such linking.
>
> Philip, if I recall correctly, previous discussions on debian-legal have
> resulted in a recommended phrasing for such an exception statement
> (unfortunately, I can't seem to find a link for it at the moment); would you
> please consider getting the NOTICE updated along the lines of that phrasing
> so as to make it clear that redistribution of OpenSSL-linked exim binaries
> is allowed?

Oh, how I hate having to deal with licencing issues. I am not a legally
competent person. (Also, I am not on any Debian lists.)

If Debian would like such a statement, then please can somebody send me
the wording that they want, and I will probably have no problem
inserting it. Basically, I don't apply any restriction on linking Exim
with any library you like, and distributing the resulting binary.
(Obviously, the licencing terms of the library must be respected.)
However, the usual GPL conditions apply: the people to whom it is
distributed must have access to all the source of the Exim part.

Philip

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.