Re: tenative ITP linux-wlan-ng; soliciting advice

Ian Eure <ieure@debian.org> writes:
> On Monday 19 August 2002 02:39 pm, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > bulkpaul@wacka.mjr.org (Paul Hedderly) writes:
> > > No. the hostap dirver is excellent. Written by Jean Tour... something.
> > > He works for SSH Corp. google for "linux prism2 driver". It does pcmcia
> > > and pci brilliantly but doesnt support usb yet. works with prism2/2.5/3
> > > cards - and most orinoco cards too. supports kysmet.
> >
> > Nope, you're confusing authors with the in-kernel orinoco driver,
> > which Jean Tourrilhes (who works for HP) has maintained at various
> > points, though the current "real" maintainer is David Gibson, IIRC.
> >
> > Apparently the 2.4.19 orinoco includes prism2/PCI (aka prism2.5, I
> > believe) support.  Don't know about the prism3---is that 802.11a?
> >
> Prism2 and Prism2.5 are not the same thing.

My understanding, perhaps flawed, is that Prism2.5 is basically a
Prism2 with a direct PCI interface---no pcmcia baggage, etc.  The
Linksys WPM11, for instance.

Regardless, the orinoco driver in the 2.4.19 kernel supports them.
>From Configure.help:

Prism 2.5 PCI 802.11b adaptor support
CONFIG_PCI_HERMES
  Enable support for PCI and mini-PCI 802.11b wireless NICs based on
  the Prism 2.5 chipset.  These are true PCI cards, not the 802.11b
  PCMCIA cards bundled with PCI<->PCMCIA adaptors which are also
  common.  Some of the built-in wireless adaptors in laptops are of
  this variety.

> I haven't used the driver in the kernel, but the Orinoco driver
> shipped with pcmcia-source (pcmcia-cs 3.1.33) only supports Prism2
> cards.
>
> I strongly recommend anyone with a Prism chipset use linux-wlan-ng,
> since pcmcia-cs's Orinoco driver sucks pretty hard.

To each their own---I have used the orinoco driver that comes with the
kernel from day one with no particular problems---and it supports the
standard (at least in-kernel-standard) interfaces for configuration,
etc., whereas wlan-ng does its own thing.

Mike.