Re: tenative ITP linux-wlan-ng; soliciting advice

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:33:08PM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> My understanding, perhaps flawed, is that Prism2.5 is basically a
> Prism2 with a direct PCI interface---no pcmcia baggage, etc.  The
> Linksys WPM11, for instance.

My pcmcia card (TrendWare TEW-201PC) announces itself as a Prism2.5, soy I
think that's not the only difference.

> To each their own---I have used the orinoco driver that comes with the
> kernel from day one with no particular problems---and it supports the
> standard (at least in-kernel-standard) interfaces for configuration,
> etc., whereas wlan-ng does its own thing.

I'm running Epitest's HostAP driver, both on my desktop (base station) and
laptop, and it runs very well (to no surprise, as this driver is developed
only for Prism2/2.5/3). It provides a reasonably large subset of the
standard Wireless Extensions.