Re: tenative ITP linux-wlan-ng; soliciting advice

On Monday 19 August 2002 02:39 pm, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> bulkpaul@wacka.mjr.org (Paul Hedderly) writes:
> > No. the hostap dirver is excellent. Written by Jean Tour... something.
> > He works for SSH Corp. google for "linux prism2 driver". It does pcmcia
> > and pci brilliantly but doesnt support usb yet. works with prism2/2.5/3
> > cards - and most orinoco cards too. supports kysmet.
>
> Nope, you're confusing authors with the in-kernel orinoco driver,
> which Jean Tourrilhes (who works for HP) has maintained at various
> points, though the current "real" maintainer is David Gibson, IIRC.
>
> Apparently the 2.4.19 orinoco includes prism2/PCI (aka prism2.5, I
> believe) support.  Don't know about the prism3---is that 802.11a?

Prism2 and Prism2.5 are not the same thing. I haven't used the driver in the
kernel, but the Orinoco driver shipped with pcmcia-source (pcmcia-cs 3.1.33)
only supports Prism2 cards.

I strongly recommend anyone with a Prism chipset use linux-wlan-ng, since
pcmcia-cs's Orinoco driver sucks pretty hard.

--
Komm auf meine Sonnenbarke!