Re: MailMan Security patch for Woody Broken?

Hi,

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> > Aug 14 18:48:03 2002 qrunner(1300): AttributeError :  'string' object has no
> > attribute 'lower'
>
> This is certainly suspicious, since all Python 'string' objects are supposed
> to have a 'lower()' method, as far as I know.

I can't look at mailman right now, but some observations that might
help:

- with python 2.1:

  >>> 'barstring'.foo()
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  AttributeError: foo

- with python 2.2

  >>> "barstring".foo()
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'foo'

  which is closer to the David's error message, *but* has 'str' instead
  of 'string'. BTW:

  >>> type("dfsfsd")
  <type 'str'>

I don't know where this 'string' comes from.

--
Florent