Re: MailMan Security patch for Woody Broken?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 07:23:05PM +1000, David Fisher wrote:

> I believe that the just released MailMan security fix for woody may be broken.
>
> I am running a  Debian woody server which runs several MailMan lists which
> have been running sweetly until just recently.  The only thing I can think of
> that has changed is that, like you do, I installed the recent MailMan
> security fix for woody that came out a cuppla days ago.
>
> Now, no messages are getting through.  If I do a test subscribe from the web
> interface, I get the acknowledgement email asking for a reply but nothing
> comes back.
>
> A check in the logs reveals this suspicious tid-bit:
>
> Aug 14 18:48:03 2002 qrunner(1300):   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailComma
> ndHandler.py", line 123, in ParseMailCommands
> Aug 14 18:48:03 2002 qrunner(1300):      precedence = msg.get('precedence',
> '').lower()
> Aug 14 18:48:03 2002 qrunner(1300): AttributeError :  'string' object has no
> attribute 'lower'

This is certainly suspicious, since all Python 'string' objects are supposed
to have a 'lower()' method, as far as I know.

But that line is one which was added in the security update.  What version
of Python are you running?  If you change that line to:

precedence = ''

does it fix the problem?

--
 - mdz