Re: pam_console for debian

On 7/25/02 12:01 PM +0200 Jan Niehusmann wrote:

Imagine a setup where several people use the same computer to read out
their own cameras - for example, because it's the only computer with an
appropriate interface. Still, it would be nice if the user at the
console could be sure that he is the only one able to access his camera.

My friend always has 2 X-sessions running on 2 virtual consoles. One for him, one for his girlfriend. How do you know which one of them is sitting in front of the computer when both consoles are logged in?

Sounds like what you really want is a way to take exclusive access to the camera device somehow. Can you exclusively open the device and prevent others from opening it too? I suppose even that would have a timing splinter: Someone could take exclusive control before you got a chance...

-David