Re: base-files and /dev

Russell Coker wrote:
> Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > Russell Coker wrote:
> > > dpkg is not doing it, dpkg is calling my SE Linux script which does it.
> >
> > I guess your script is already doing exceptions for /usr and /var and so on
> > (or are those owned by the last package installed). So you should just add
> > another exception and not register /etc with the base-files domain.
>
> No, they are not exceptions, they are regular directories.  Unlike
> /dev which on a devfs system is a mount point for a different file
> system which is quite different from others.  For example try
> creating a regular file under /dev on a devfs system.

Actually, I tried that a long time ago, indirectly: /dev/pts was added
to base-files in 2.1.18, and removed in 2.1.20 because of problems
with devfs :-) No other incompatibility problems have been reported
between base-files and devfs since then. I think the problem here is
that you consider the /dev directory itself as a file when it's not.