Re: base-files and /dev

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:45, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:08:58PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > dpkg is not doing it, dpkg is calling my SE Linux script which does it.
>
> I guess your script is already doing exceptions for /usr and /var and so on
> (or are those owned by the last package installed). So you should just add
> another exception and not register /etc with the base-files domain.

No, they are not exceptions, they are regular directories.  Unlike /dev which
on a devfs system is a mount point for a different file system which is quite
different from others.  For example try creating a regular file under /dev on
a devfs system.

> > Why do you believe that base-files should own /dev?  It does not own any
> > files in /dev, it does not create /dev or create many (any?) files under
> > /dev.
>
> It does create /dev, thats what it is for.

Of course /dev could be created in the postinst as it does with /cdrom,
/floppy, etc.