Re: Debconf i18n

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 03:17:09PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Tomohiro KUBOTA <tkubota@riken.go.jp> wrote:
> > At Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:53:13 +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> >> are you using iconv() function for conversion?
> >> If yes, perhaps using //TRANSLIT would help...
>
> > Good.  I am now using libtext-iconv-perl package and it use iconv()
> > function internally.
>
> > BTW, where is //TRANSLIT documented?  I could not find it in iconv(1)
> > or iconv(3) manuals, nor in /usr/share/doc/{libc6-dev,locales}
> > directories.
> [...]
>
> Hello!
> Nowhere anymore? Iirc it was documented some time ago, at least I
> found this in my mail folder, probably snipped from an older version
> of the manpage or the one from libiconv:
> [iconv_open(3)]
>        When  the  string  "//TRANSLIT"  is  appended  to  tocode,
>        transliteration is activated. This means that when a char-
>        acter  cannot  be represented in the target character set,
>        it can be approximated through one  or  several  similarly
>        looking characters.
>
> BTW tin uses TRANSLIT, too. Be aware that it is a libiconv/glibc
> extension and is not in SUSv2/SUSv3. Iff Debian/*BSD does not use
> glibc or libiconv it won't work for them.

I still have an ITP on libiconv for non-Glibc systems, working on hammering
it into suitable shape. It's on hold at the moment due to RL interruptions
and the potential that glibc might show up on most of the platforms it's
needed on right now, but I think it isn't a terribly unsafe assumption to
believe that some form of iconv() will be available - too many things at
this point require it to get by without it, really.