Re: Debconf i18n

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 08:06:59PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> I forgot to note one thing; When you use UTF-8 for debconf templates
> and some users use it in conventional (for example, ISO-8859-15)
> locale, if your templates have characters which don't exist in
> the conventional locale, conversion will fail.  (Debconf will need
> some mechanism to manage such situation.)

are you using iconv() function for conversion?
If yes, perhaps using //TRANSLIT would help...

However, this certainly needs to be solved, because with
appearance of ISO-8859-15 templates (and I think it will appear
sooner or later) debconf will fail on older ISO-8859-1 locales
(which are certainly going to be in use for some time)