Re: Debconf i18n

Tomohiro KUBOTA <tkubota@riken.go.jp> wrote:
> At Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:53:13 +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
>> are you using iconv() function for conversion?
>> If yes, perhaps using //TRANSLIT would help...

> Good.  I am now using libtext-iconv-perl package and it use iconv()
> function internally.

> BTW, where is //TRANSLIT documented?  I could not find it in iconv(1)
> or iconv(3) manuals, nor in /usr/share/doc/{libc6-dev,locales}
> directories.
[...]

Hello!
Nowhere anymore? Iirc it was documented some time ago, at least I
found this in my mail folder, probably snipped from an older version
of the manpage or the one from libiconv:
[iconv_open(3)]
       When  the  string  "//TRANSLIT"  is  appended  to  tocode,
       transliteration is activated. This means that when a char-
       acter  cannot  be represented in the target character set,
       it can be approximated through one  or  several  similarly
       looking characters.

BTW tin uses TRANSLIT, too. Be aware that it is a libiconv/glibc
extension and is not in SUSv2/SUSv3. Iff Debian/*BSD does not use
glibc or libiconv it won't work for them.
                cu andreas
--
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/tin-snapshot/