Re: /var seperate partition?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> wrote:

> /bin, /sbin, /etc, /tmp, /root, /mnt must be on /.  Everything
> else may be on its own partition and mounted later.

Just as a data point, I would -never- run a production box with /tmp in
/... it's not a good idea for the usual reasons, one of which is the
same reason why /var should be its own partition: it grows, and you want
for / to not grow and fill up. Also, /tmp can grow fairly large on some
systems; you might want to be able to back up / onto -floppies-.

/root is just a convenient place to put stuff; whether it belongs on /
is not that clear to me... putting stuff there leads to cluttering /.

However, since you need to be able to start the machine and come up to a
reasonable point with just / mounted, I would agree strongly that /bin,
/sbin, /etc and /dev should be on /. Kernels might still need a /boot
partition, but given smarter boot loaders, that need is disappearing.

Finally, saying that /mnt cannot be mounted upon is just stupid:
that's what it's -for-.

-Jim