Re: /var seperate partition?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:04:33 +0000 (UTC), Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:

> Is it legal to have /var as a seperate partition?
>
> In my opinion it should be, but one package (discover)
> tries to run before file systems are mounted and gets
> upset that it can't find its files under /var. However
> I am not sure of this, hence the reason for asking
> here.

There's a similar issue with /usr, which is discussed at length in bugs
#149256, #149741 and #150358. The solution used for the discover packages
in sid (which I arrived at independantly) was to run the discover
startup script later in the boot sequence after disks are mounted,
priority 36 IIRC.

> What should be done to fix this? Should I file bug report?

Remember its one of Branden's packages ;-).

> (this is the woody version, as I want this system
> to track stable when woody is released).

It's safe to change the boot order yourself.

Frank
--
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>
Not the Scientology Home Page: <URL:http://xenu.apana.org.au/ntshp/>