Re: RFC init.d actions [force-]reload and non-running programs

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 09:47:13PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> That would be mass filing bugreports. Before you do that try and
> get a consensus on debain-devel that that would be a good thing
> (I think it would) and create some example init.d scripts that
> implement this correctly.

Personally I think it is much better the way it is done yet. force-reload
and restart simply start the daemon if it was not running. That avoids
having a lot of bugs and is the logical action one expects in most cases.
config scripts of course should test if the daemon needs to be rnning before
they restart it.

This is also the behaviour of most scripts (because it is suggested in
skeleton). It is the most reliable option (less can go wrong).

I think that was the reason for the original poster to suggest a change in
policy. I guess it is better if I file a bug against policy instead of
against all the packages out there.

After all, it is more important to have a consitent and documented
behaviour, than to have a perfcet one (which in this case it not the perfect
solution in my oppinion).

Greetings
Bernd
--