Gnome fonts behaving weirdly

I'm trying to run a Gnome application which should display Greek and
Hebrew text as well as English.

There are two problems.

First, it gives these apparently nonsensical messages as it starts up:

olly@linda$ echo $LANG
olly@linda$ gnomesword

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Building GnomeSword interface
gnomesword-0.7.1
Initiating Sword

Sword locale is C
Initiating GnomeSword

The font "-*-@elvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not
support all the required character sets for the current locale "C"
  (Missing character set "ISO8859-1")
The font "-*-@elvetica-book-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not
The font "-*-@elvetica-light-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not
support all the required character sets for the current locale "C"
  (Missing character set "ISO8859-1")
done
The font "-*-@elve -medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not
The font "-*-@elve -book-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not support
The font "-*-@elve -light-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1" does not support
all the required character sets for the current locale "C"
  (Missing character set "ISO8859-1")

Secondly, it seems to be impossible to choose a Unicod echaracter set to
display the Greek and Hebrew text.  Although the font picker dialog
offers the choice of Unicode (iso10646), it never allows it to be
chosen, but always picks iso8859-1 instead.

Are these bugs in the application or in the Gnome libraries?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver