Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 09:35 , Steve Langasek wrote:

But even /var being mounted locally is not sufficient for modules.conf.
You may have multiple SCSI hosts in a machine, and /var may be on a
drive attached to one that's loaded as a module after boot.

Huh? isn't that what /etc/modules (a completely different file!) is for? Plop the module name in there, and that will be loaded. I don't think that needs /etc/modules.conf, does it?

Also, modules.dep is in /lib. I believe depmod is run on startup (I've seen it fail due to read-only FS enough times I'm pretty sure it is).