Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 01:30:13PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:03:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > aj@cyan:~$ grep 'Maintainer: Turbo Fredriksson' /var/lib/dpkg/available | wc -l
> >      99
> Heh.  Nearly all of those are tiny libroxen packages.

(Irritating as they are)

> > So you can take Turbo's opinion -- ie, the opinion of a fairly long term
> > and productive developer -- to be both indicative and authoritative.
> Indicative, maybe.  Of one developer's opinion.  Authoritative?  No way.

I dunno. What do you want that's more authoritative than one developer's
opinion? Two developers' opinions won't be helpful to you because they'll
be contradictory (unless you're _very_ lucky -- to the point of getting
active assistance from supernatural beings -- in your choice of the two
developers). And if you ask for everyone's opinions you're more likely
to get an intense flamewar about some minor technical detail within a
few hours that distracts everyone else from replying.

Asking what "Debian" is focussed on is in some ways a null question:
the entire project is never focussed on any one thing; even a stable
release doesn't particularly interest a sizable bunch of people. But on
the other hand, it's not a null question at all: all you need for the
Debian project to focus on an issue is for a single developer to want
to do something about it. But if you want an answer to that, the best you
can do is ask individual developers what they're interested in, and there's
not really much you can do to influence that.

Except, of course, decide *you* want to focus on it, and put your time,
skills and energy where your mouth is. (And no, that's not even as easy
as it sounds)

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''